Monday 29 October 2012

A Piece on Online Dating

First things first, I want to say a sincere thank you to everyone that's been around for the past couple of weeks. Seems a lot of people read my last blog and made a conscious effort to find out how both I & my mum are - certainly didn't go unnoticed and I genuinely appreciate it. She's in good health and I'm sure the fact that she's having people round for dinner and the abundance of flowers and cards that have turned up are a positive sign despite playing havoc with mine and the old man's sinuses. I don't think there's much more to say on the topic, so... thank you.

Online Dating... Why?

Being one with a plethora of opinions about, well, almost everything, I seem to be getting questioned on the nature of online dating recently. Personally, it's something I've never done, but I'm neither for nor against it. People have various reasons for signing up to dating sites in the first place and a few of my friends definitely demonstrate the benefits no matter what you're looking to get out of it. Without delving into detail, if you're looking for something serious, lasting and opening your catchment area to beyond your local area - there's multiple sites that are laden with equally minded people from all corners of society. On the flipside, if you're looking for something more casual, laid back and simply easy.. well, it doesn't get much easier. Tell someone you'll meet them at Reading festival, treat them to a can of Fosters and they'll stay the night in your tent (you know who you are, good work!)

Not that I like taking credit for anything...

A friend of mine asked me best part of two years ago if I'd had any experience with online dating. Besides hearing of friends that had used it and having a look at POF (I think I have a really, really incomplete profile somewhere?) I'd never actually (and still to this day haven't) used it, nor intend to. After a couple of hours discussing his success rate, his messages and how he came across however, we took a bet on how many replies he'd get to a message I designed for him. I think I might have shot myself in the foot given that if I was to start online dating, I probably couldn't use it myself, but hey ho, creativity is a blessing right? I'm in two minds about sharing it on here but I'll err on the side of caution and keep it to myself (well, ourselves, technically). Regardless, he sent my message out after putting his own little spin on it (important to stay true to yourself!) and the next time we met, I was more impressed than I thought I'd be. In an average of ten messages he was lucky to get two replies.. using what I'd modelled for him, he had four dates lined up for the following week. Safe to say I'd dropped myself in the deep end and I'd be spending many a Tuesday night dissecting the results of his dates - but he had a fairly refreshing presence about him and to this day it's safe to say taking a new angle worked wonders for him.

He's currently dating someone not necessarily regarded as 'his type' but he seems pretty smitten, and given that I hear more about her than I ask for, I'm chuffed for him (you're not letting her read this are you..? Sorry fella!). Without doubt his experience is probably the most satisfying and rewarding element of online dating that I've been somewhat 'involved' with. Safe to say, if I was ever to partake in it myself, I'd be asking him for a word of advice or two. Funnily enough, his new better half is also the one that asked the question "Why doesn't Rick do it?" - I'll answer that at the end of this post.

On the flipside..

I have two friends, ironically, same age, similar backgrounds, social circles and the like that have entered the world of online dating. One has been using it for a while with various successes whilst the other is fresh to the whole concept and to a certain degree; I'm not sure if she knew what to expect.

My early and fairly naive view of online dating that anyone partaking in it has to have 'something wrong' with them in some way. Bit harsh giving it a blanket impression but to a degree I don't think I was entirely misled. There are a lot (probably more than I imagined) of genuine, sincere and honest people that use online dating for a multitude of reasons including time constraints, geographical issues and the challenges of breaking the ice face to face. There are however, a huge collection of social oddities and misguided individuals that tend to take the time pursuing options that they probably shouldn't. It's a good ego boost for some though, so they're not all that bad to have around. Besides, everyone loves a compliment, and they're pretty harmless. The old saying states there's "someone for everyone", so good luck to them.

...

I think I fell asleep when I was writing this two weeks ago and I've lost my trail of thought but someone asked me to post it regardless, so here it is. I guess the long and short of it is, online dating is a huge minefield littered with individuals that all have their different reasons for being part of it. Personally, I don't think you can ever truly judge someone *without* face value, but I guess it's a good a means of an introduction as any. Its also far too easy to use as a means of making up for your latest failed relationship..

If you're into online..? Good luck to you. In the meantime, I prefer the real world!

No comments:

Post a Comment